“Of all the senses, sight must be the most delightful.”–Helen Keller.
Do you take your eyesight for granted? Taking care of your overall health can keep your eyes healthy!
Eyes aren't just the window to your soul, they also offer a glimpse into your health.
We at Hella Shades are not only concerned about how beautiful our sunglasses make you look, but that your eyes are healthy too–that way you’ll see the world as we do; abounding with colour, beauty and endless possibilities!
We’ve put together a few tips for you to follow to keep your eyes healthy and protected.
1. Eat healthy foods
- Good eye health starts with the food you consume.
- Nutrients like omega-3 fatty acids, lutein, zinc (brings vitamin A from your liver to your retina, where it's used to make the protective pigment melanin), and vitamins C and E are vital to help ward off age-related vision problems like macular degeneration and cataracts.
- A well-balanced diet also helps you maintain a healthy weight. It lowers your odds of obesity and related diseases such as type 2 diabetes, which is the leading cause of blindness in adults.
- Don’t forget to drink enough water to stay hydrated to keep your body and eyes hydrated!
2. Get active
- Being physically active helps you stay healthy.
- Daily exercise can also lower your risk of health conditions that can cause eye health or vision problems-like diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol.
3. Avoid smoking
- Smoking isn’t just bad for your lungs-it can hurt your eyes too!
- Smoking increases your risk of conditions such as macular degeneration and cataracts, and it can cause damage to your optic nerve.
Protect your eyes
Keeping healthy is vital, but you need to protect your eyes too.
Use these tips to protect your eyes from things that can harm them:
4. Wear sunglasses
- Protect your eyes from the sun by wearing sunglasses-even on cloudy days! The right pair of shades will help protect your eyes from the sun's ultraviolet (UV) rays. Too much UV exposure boosts your chances of cataracts and macular degeneration.
- Choose a pair of sunglasses that blocks 99% to 100% of UVA and UVB rays. All Hella Shade eyewear are 100% UV400 protected.
- Whilst some contact lenses offer UV protection, it's still a good idea to wear sunglasses for an extra layer of protection.
5. Wear protective eyewear
- Safety glasses and goggles are designed to protect your eyes during certain activities, like playing sports, doing construction work, or doing home repairs.
- Helmets with protective face masks or sports goggles with polycarbonate lenses will shield your eyes.
6. Give your eyes a rest
- Looking at a computer screen for long periods of time can tire out your eyes.
- Rest your eyes by taking a break every 20 minutes to focus something in the distance for 20 seconds.
- Get sufficient sleep to rest your mind, body and eyes.
7. If you wear contacts, take steps to prevent eye infections
- Always wash your hands before you put your contact lenses in or take them out.
- Be sure to disinfect your contact lenses and replace them regularly.
- Try not to touch or rub your eyes.
8. Visit Your Eye Specialist Regularly
- Everyone needs a regular eye examination, even young children.
- It helps protect your sight and lets you see your best.
- Eye exams can also detect diseases like glaucoma that have no symptoms. It's important to spot them early on, when they're easier to treat.
Remember, eat well, keep your eyes protected and Hella Shade will do the rest…keep you looking on trend and your best!